Find and access recently published information and resources.
New BRANZ resources and publications
New medium-density housing fact sheet
- A new medium-density housing fact sheet has been added to the series - Specified systems and building warrants of fitness., This is the eighth fact sheet in this series.
Build Magazine issue 165 published
- Issue 165 of Build Magazine has now been published. The two main feature areas for this issue are medium-density housing and the future is now (looking at the use of technology in the building industry, including robotics and artificial intelligence).
- The practical technical information in this issue covers the following areas.
New and withdrawn bulletins
- Three new bulletins have been published:
- Managing wind effects around buildings, BU620 (2018) - this replaces bulletin BU321 Reducing the impact of wind at building sites;
- Site practices, BU621 (2018) - this replaces bulletin BU499 Site practices;
- Good plans and specifications, BU622 (2018) - this replaces bulletin BU505 Acceptable plans and specifications.
Guideline March 2018
- The March issue of Guideline provides practical information on the following issues:
- Gas hob clearances and splashbacks;
- Relocating and/or relocatable buildings;
- Coating smooth surfaces;
- Winder stairs and handrails; and
- Extra high wind zones - additional requirements for low-risk buildings.
Changes to Building Code, Standards and legislation
Amendment to verification method B1/VM1
- On 3 April 2018 the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) published an amendment to B1/VM1 (amendment 16) and issued a warning about the use of loop bar details in flange-hung double-tee precast concrete floor units. See Codewords 83 for more details.
Loop bar warning
- The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has published a warning about the use of loop bar details (that do not comply with NZS 3101 Concrete Structures Standard) in flange-hung, double-tee precast concrete flooring units. More information can be found in Building Controls Update 230.
New standard published - SNZ TS 3404:2018
- Standards New Zealand has published a new standard - SNZ TS 3404:2018 - Durability requirements for steel structures and components. It supersedes the standard NZS 3404.1:2009 looseleaf as at 22 February 2018. The new standard "covers the corrosion protection of structural steelwork exposed to New Zealand atmospheric and non-atmospheric environments".
Other news and publications
Pathways to compliance - for products, building designs and methods
- The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has published a guide called "Pathways to compliance: for products, building designs and methods". A useful chart showing the pathways has been published, as well as supporting information.
New Fire Safety design guide launched
- The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) has launched the publication Fire Safety Design Guide for Residential Community Housing.
New Asbestos Quick Guides
- Worksafe New Zealand has published 4 new asbestos safety quick guides, aimed primarily at the building and construction industry - working with or near asbestos - guides for builders, electricians, painters and plumbers.