Find and access recently published information and resources.
New BRANZ resources and publications
New bulletins - calculating bracing for walls, roofs and subfloors
- Wind and earthquakes can generate significant forces on a building. These two new bulletins describe how to calculate the wind and earthquake bracing demand and detail for walls, subfloors and roofs of buildings within the scope of NZS 3604:2011 - Timber framed buildings:
- Wall bracing in NZS3604:2011 buildings, BU616 (2017); and
- Subfloor and roof bracing in NZS3604:2011 buildings, BU617 (2017).
Medium-density housing fact sheets
- Five fact sheets about medium-density housing have been published: What is medium-density housing?; Supply and demand; Attitudes towards MDH; Consents,and acoustic performance.
Build Magazine issue 163 December 2017
- The December issue of Build Magazine has been published. It contains articles about the National Science Challenges, quality design (including an interview with Chris Moller from Grand Designs New Zealand).
- In the practical Right Stuff area of the magazine are articles on:
NZ Guidelines for Assessing and Managing Asbestos in Soil
- The New Zealand Guidelines for Assessing and Managing Asbestos in Soil have been published. The publication is a collaboration between BRANZ and the Australasian Land and Groundwater Association (ALGA). The guidelines provide the New Zealand industry with step-by-step guidance through the process of identifying, assessing and managing asbestos in soil.
Changes to Building Code, Standards and legislation
Building Controls Update 225 - C/VM2
- Building Controls Update 225 discusses the amendment to the scope for Building Code Verification Method C/VM2 Framework for Fire Safety Design.
Other news and publications
New-look Worksafe New Zealand website launched
- Worksafe New Zealand has launched a new website with the aim of making it easier to find all the health and safety information and resources you are looking for. The new website brings together six Worksafe sites into one place.
- Worksafe New Zealand has launched SafePlus which is a voluntary health and safety performance improvement toolkit for businesses. SafePlus defines itself as "what good health and safety looks like, above minimum legal compliance".
Hazardous substances toolbox and calculator
- The hazardous substances toolbox (with calculator) helps you know your responsibilities under the Hazardous Substances Regulations.
Timber fences and screens - how to build a timber fence
- NZ Wood has published a useful and practical guide on how to build timber fences and screens.